“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Sunday, June 6, 2010

You learn something every day if you pay attention

I have been living in Egypt for a whole month now!  It is so cliche, but the time really has flown by!

I spend my days doing all kinds of things.  Some days I work with the other wives and the LDS Service Missionaries on various humanitarian projects throughout Cairo.  Some days I lay by the pool and hang out in the club.  And some days I get to spend precious time with my boyfriend (who is constantly loaded with schoolwork) eating out together, watching a movie, or exploring different areas of our Maadi. 

Life in Cairo is good to me.  I don't have a 9-5 job (miss you, UCCU!), I get to sleep in most of the time, and I pretty much have no serious worries or stress.  I especially love being able to do humanitarian work because I start to think less of 'me' and more of others, and that is when I am most happy- when I am able to serve others.

I have learned a lot the past few weeks in Cairo.

I have learned that living abroad is totally possible for a Mormon family- the LDS Branch here is amazing, and all of the expat families are wonderful.  Most of the wives and their kids have had a very positive experience with living abroad and they are very happy with their lives.

I have learned that my body is stronger than I think.  If you would have told me we would walk and walk and walk everyday, and sweat buckets and be hot all the time, and that I would be totally ok with it (most of the time...) I would have laughed in your face.  But it's so good for me and I am getting stronger and more fit everyday.  That being said, I have learned how to live without a car!  And I have learned to drink more water than usual so I can stay hydrated.  Who needs a tape worm now?!  Not this girl!

I have learned that cold showers work wonders. We don't need a/c, as long as the cold water keeps running!

I have learned that putting lots of effort into your look here in Cairo is really just a waste- with the amount I sweat, heavy makeup and eyeliner and cute clothes equals a bad, baaaaaad idea.  And that's ok!  I like looking like I'm glowing and on my way to a safari everyday.

I have learned half of the Arabic alphabet, and I can successfully begin conversations ('Hello', 'How are you', 'Where are you from' etc), count and write 1-10, buy food and drinks from street vendors, and navigate my way in a taxi.

I have learned to stand up for myself when Arab men try to push me around!  (Refer to below story about the pool... haha.)

I have learned that you shouldn't eat falafel 6 days in a row, or else you will be home sick with constipation on an otherwise fun Saturday.

I have learned that I feel more independent and adventerous without a cellphone- others might prefer that I get one, but I like not worrying about it!

I have learned more about Arab women, and my previous judgements have been altered already.  There is much about the Muslim world that I don't understand, but I'm trying.

I have learned to look forward to the call to prayer.  It is a reminder of religion and prayer 3, 4, 5 or more times a day, when I listen for it.

I have learned how to use a loom to make baby caps, and how to teach the Hokey Pokey to 25 little boys who need some fun in their lives.

I have learned that we are all humans and we are all God's children, Egyptian or American, Chinese or Brazillian.  And I have learned that I love living in Cairo!!!  Sometimes I get really annoyed and frustrated, and really hot and sweaty, but I amd trying to be patient and happy, and I know this is where I need to be right now.
I am grateful I am here with Andrew and that we are living the dream, one adventure at a time! 
This experience is changing my life for the better.


Much loves from Egypt,
M.

4 comments:

  1. Tears...that is all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you lindsey haws. WISH YOU WERE HERE:) xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome. I can't wait to hear more stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you decided to follow your boyfriend to Egypt. What a great life decision!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

talk
like
an
egyptian