“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Variations on a Theme

Everywhere I go in Egypt, there is a common phrase I continue to hear. I am positive that I have heard it used even more than Inshallah (God willing.)

It is, "Welcome to Egypt."

You pass the bakery and the man out front says, "Welcome to Egypt!"
You pass a metro policeman and he says, "Welcome to Egypt!"
You walk through a group of little girls playing in the street and they all say, "Welcome to Egypt."
You pass the family selling fruit next to the fly over.... "Welcome to Egypt."

I don't know how every single Egyptian person knows this phrase. But they all do.
My favorite part about "Welcome to Egypt" is that so many people interpret it themselves and some of the variations are hilarious.

Welcome to Egypt often turns into:
"Welcome for Egypt"
"Welcome in Egypt"
"Welcome from Egypt"
"Welcome Egypt"

Or my personal favorite...
"Welcome to, ALASKA!" (I've heard it from three seperate people at totally different places?? THREE!)

Other common phrases used in Egypt:
"Hello habibi, come in, I make good price for you."
"Hello, how can I take your money?"  [Really, it's happened to us a couple times at the Khan el Kalili.  At least they're honest, eh??]
"Goo'day Sheila"... [said by an Egyptian trying to do an Australian accent.]

And since I am constantly mistaken for being a Spaniard, I hear lots of:
"Hola!!" and "Senorita, come in to my store, mi amore" and "Hey, Espanya? Yes? You for Espanya?"

So everyone.  Welcome to Egypt.
Cheers,
M.

p.s.  Stay tuned for pictures of my epic weekend.  I hit up the Giza Pyramids, the Step Pyramid at Saqqara, the Egyptian Museum, Garbage City, the Khan and LOTS MORE all in 3 days.  You'll love it.

2 comments:

  1. hello, how can i take your money? hahahahaha. that made me laugh. p.s. maybe you should to do them what jer did to the little russian kids. when they would ask for the swear words in english, the missionaries would tell them things like "cake" so the kids would go around calling people cake-ing idiots (or something). hahaha. poor children..

    miss you!! love you!!

    ReplyDelete

talk
like
an
egyptian