“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Q&A

What brought you to Egypt?
My husband is a Middle East Studies major and part of that is learning how to speak Arabic.  We are on a study abroad and he is in an intensive language program with about 40 other students.  His skills are coming along and we [bahah but really, HE, not so much "we"...] are on track to graduate next April.  (WOO hoo!!!)  We live in Cairo with another couple, Jake and Chelsi and they are rock star roomates.  We are so lucky!  While Andrew works his buns off during the day, I have adventures around Cairo.  We dig our fantastic life.


How in the hell do you guys share a bathroom?!
I'm not going to lie, it is a bit tricky.  Personally, I haven't had to fight anyone for bathroom rights yet (I hope Chelsi and Jake don't feel like they have either!) but we just try to be extra considerate of our roomates and limit our useage.  
Showering together with our spouses helps too.  Saving water AND time.  Genius!  [TMI?  Yeah, probably!]

Can you bring me back falafel? 
I can’t bring food out of the country!  [You know I'd be all up on those ho-ho's!!!!!]  LAME.  But don't fret, there is a KILLER falafel restaraunt in SLC- party when we get back in the Fall!

I want to know more about the surreal things there.  Like the pyramids instead of mountains and the PSA adds.  I think those are fascinating.
Pyramids were a TRIP.  I can't even describe it.  I spent 2 months here before I actually went to "see" them [on a clear day you can totally see them from the top of my apartment building!]  but the whole experience was surreal!  I mean, I've wanted to see the pyramids since I was in 4th grade!  It was a dream come true.  Some people will never leave their country and I'm crossing things off my bucket list one day at a time.  I feel pretty dang blessed, that is for SURE.  
My entire exsistence here right now is pretty craaaazy.  It is totally mind blowing to live in a country with so much history- a country that has been occupied since- forever?  CLEOPATRA walked where I walked.  We went to Luxor to see all the Temples and tombs and I've stood in the Holy of Holies, where hundreds of Pharohs ‘met the Gods’.  I swam in the Red Sea that was once parted by Moses.  It’s a mind trip when you think about it!
And as far as weird things like PSA ads and such, let me tell you- we were watching T.V. one night and this strange commercial came on.  I don’t even know how to explain it, but basically the commercial was for this special face cream for Egyptians that will turn your dark skin tone into a lighter skin tone, so you look more “white”.  We thought that was so strange.  Here I am, baking myself brown, and they’re trying to look lighter.  There’s a cultural difference if I’ve ever heard one!

Because I am an ex-McDonalds GM... please tell me whats on the menu there. I've hear about some whacky things in different places.
My favorite thing on the Egyptian McDonalds menu- the “McArabia”.  It’s basically a thin chicken or meat patty inside a pita bread.  I’m lovin’ it.  [Good on, eh?]

What do you miss the most?
I miss being able to talk to my family whenever I want.  It’s hard trying to work out a good communication schedule when I’m 10 hours ahead and when I don’t have access to a phone.  Skype is a lifesaver.  I also miss Café Rio like nobodys business.  MMMMMMMMMM.

What do you guys do to cool off before going to sleep with no AC?  I can never sleep when its too hot!
Step one:  Remove all clothing.  [DUH!  ....Wait, TMI again?!  FAIL.]

Step two:  Cold shower.
Step three:  Soak bedding in cold water.
Step four:  Turn on fan to full blast.
Step five:  If Steps 1-4 aren't enough, get the ice packs out of the freezer and start getting creative.

What are some of the coolest things you have learned about Egyptian culture that made you say "WOWZA!"
That’s a hard one!  Hmmmm.  I am constantly amazed by the work ethic of the lower class Egyptians.  They learn to work at such a young age and they dedicate themselves to their trade- it’s their way of survival.  I see 3 year olds managing fruit stands on my street.  There are tons of cultural differences, so let's talk about that in another blog post... :)


Have you eaten anything over there that you found completely revolting?
Sugar cane juice.  I HATE it.  I think it tastes like sugar water mixed with dirt, bacteria and a little bit of urine.  YUCK.  I despise that stuff and all of our Egyptian friends try to get me to drink it and sometimes to be polite I have to swallow it down and try hard to control my gag reflex.  UGH.  As far as food goes, I haven’t had anything too shocking… yet.  But I did see a goat getting slaughtered on my street in front of a butcher shop today.  I almost threw up, but it was an interesting site, nonetheless.  


What SPF sunscreen do you use to keep Andrew from cooking up like a lobster?
I fear that nothing we use for Andrews fair skin will ever fully protect him, but right now we frequently apply an expensive brand of SPF 30.  He still burns.  BUT, Andrew claims that he is getting some “color” and he’s pretty pumped about it.  We check his bod for more tan lines everyday, he is almost African.  Almost.


What has been your best/most rewarding community service experience since you've been there?
Every Sunday we work with an NGO that provides a program for “Street Kids”.  I've only been 3 times so far, but every time it has been awesome and I really enjoy myself.  It’s basically boys between the ages of 5-16 who have dropped out of school to work for their families.  They meet every Sunday (their only day off from work, usually) and we do Arabic lessons, play sports, do art projects, eat good food and basically have a “school” day to substitute for their lack of actual schooling.  It’s a small NGO but I think they’re making a serious impact on these boys lives.  I taught them the Hokey Pokey last week and we did it 5 times together.  They can’t get enough of that stuff.  Or they just like laughing at the crazy American girl singing and dancing around to the Hokey Pokey, but either way, I’ll do anything for a smile.

How much do you LOOOVVVVEEEEE it there????
SO MUCH.  Cairo definitely has its ups and its downs, just like everywhere else.  It’s so hot.  We have no a/c, and we have to walk everywhere.  I get verbally harassed all the time, and although it can get mega annoying (especially if I’m already having a bad day) I never feel like I’m in danger.  



I love adventures.  I love learning about Egyptian life and culture.  And I love living in Egypt.  


Much loves, 
M. 

4 comments:

  1. Verbally harassed! Oh man! This was great- I loved reading about your adventures. How fun to have this documented! And that's so crazy NO A/C!! I love the measures you guys take though (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome. I can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megs, you should ask my aunt sometime if you might be able to use their phone! They have a U.S. phone line there and they can call anyone in the states w/out paying out the you know what in long distance. Its amazing! Ask her about it...I bet she would let you come use it to call your family for few minutes or somethin :)

    ReplyDelete

talk
like
an
egyptian