Today Andrew and I went on a shopping spree. We bought a load of tacky souveniers, for the fun of it. Then we did grocery shopping and bought over 90 EGP (about 18 US dollars...) of foreign cheese. That's more money than we spend in a week living here. We have a cheese problem. And then we went to the vegetable market, where I bought 3 LARGE grocery bags full of assorted veggies for less than 1 US dollar. YOU CAN'T BEAT IT! It's all fresh, and it's all delicious.
At said veggie market, a man selling mint stopped Andrew and asked if I was his wife. Andrew said yes and the man congratulated Andrew and gave him a big high five. He then turned to me and said, "Miss, you are very beautiful and you are very sugar." We don't know what me being sugar actually means.
I got a rad henna tattoo done from a Sudanese woman. It was at her apartment that she shares with her mother and her children. She told us many Egyptian brides get henna done, and they often dress in traditional Indian clothes for their wedding's here in Egypt. Before I knew it, we were all playing dress us up in their home, wearing Indian sari's and loads of gold jewelry and dancing around like we were in a Bollywood film. Lots of pictures were taken.
I rode a camel at the Pyramids and my crotch STILL hurts. And those camels almost ate us alive, they are terrifying creatures.
Once I got spit on by a random man. And then when I yelled [and cursed] at him, he didn't even look at me or flinch so I still don't know if it was an accident or totally on purpose.
Tonight we went to a carnival. We don't know why there was a carnival, and we're still wondering what all those people were celebrating. All I know is that it was super shady, with lots of wandering hands trying to touch my down under girl parts, an excessive amount of LOUD music, plenty of street food, tons of lights, and just about everyone in the area showed up. There were also shoddy looking carnival rides that are going to break down any second. Oh, and there were fireworks thrown at us from balconies. All in all, it was AWESOME. I had a good time!
There are only a couple more weeks left for us here in Cairo. I am sad, I love my Egypt life and I honestly don't want to go home yet, it's too soon for us! I still have lots of pictures and stories to share, so be prepared for post overload the rest of this week while I play blog catchup.
Until next time,
your beautiful and sugar friend. bahahahahahahhaa.
Bahaha 90 EGP on Cheese?!?!? That's fantastic! And Ps I totally know what you mean about the girl parts hurting after the camel ride. I thought I was going to die after riding one up Mt. Sinai for 2 hours :-/
ReplyDeleteHahaha! Your awesome time at the carnival sounds TERRIFYING! Then again, since I've been prego I'm afraid to even drive so I'm a baby. haha
ReplyDeleteWhat awesome experiences! I'm super jealous of the CHEAP fresh produce!
hahaha you ARE sugar! Where are these dress-up pictures?!? Sounds like fun!
ReplyDeleteI notice your love of the scarfs there. They were probably my favorite part. I bought a zillion of them because at $2 a piece who can refuse? They were so soft and colorful and perfect for hiking.They were so freaking handy and a great way to wipe the *ahem* sweat from dripping off the brow.
ReplyDelete