“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Friday, July 30, 2010

Animal Tales

I saw a goat slaughtered at the butcher shop down the street from my house one sunny afternoon.  They killed it on the sidewalk and then brushed the blood into the road.

A few weeks ago, we were eating out at a pretty nice restaurant when I noticed the waiter walked through the restaurant and past our table with a large white trash bag that clearly held a freshly beheaded animal...  looks like it was the meat for the next days dishes. 

On our way to a mosque in downtown Cairo, we were traveling in a taxi through a busy street when I looked out the window and saw a dead horse laying in a large pile of trash on the side of the road.  Andrew said, "Well, what else would you do if your horse died?!"... um, BURY IT, that's what I would do.

Cairo is the breeding grounds to what I am sure is the worlds largest cat population.  They used to be worshiped in Ancient Egypt... now they just prowl the streets and sometimes sneak into restaurants and try to steal your food while you're eating it.  I see more cats than women during the day.  Which says a lot for the 24th most populated city in the world.

Tonight while Andrew was eating his first pigeon (one of Egypt's delicacies...) I saw a waiter carry a bag of bloody, de-feathered, headless pigeons into the kitchen next to our table.  Really, how has that happened twice to me???

I always thought camels to be a tame, noble creature.  Until I went to the pyramids and the rabid camel Aryel and Becca were riding kept snapping it's teeth in anger.  No one ever told me camels SNAPPED like that.  Many people almost had their limbs snapped off by the angry camel that day.

Welcome in Egypt everybody.

Even though it is our last night in Africa (*tear....) I still have lots, and lots of stories and pictures to share!  Stay tuned...

Here's to the animals,

No comments:

Post a Comment

talk
like
an
egyptian