“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Saturday, April 17, 2010

This is only the begining.

It's really happening.  We are moving to Egypt.  It still sounds weird when I say it out loud... or, type it I guess.  It has definitely been an emotional rollercoaster for the past couple months.  Trying to figure out exactly what was going to happen this summer has been hard on us.  I'll spare you the details, let's just say we are both THRILLED that this is actually going down now and that we are going to enjoy the summer abroad TOGETHER. 

Since the final decision was actually decided not too long ago **cough cough 2 weeks ago to be exact!** we are scrambling to get things figured out with our house and storage and jobs.  I literally had a panic attack in my managers office when I was trying to tell her I'm quitting my job (in this economy?!) to move to the Middle East.  I feel like a crazy person.  I don't remember much about our conversation, except that I think it went well, and at one point she asked if I needed a paper bag because I strated hyperventilating.  It aint no thang!

We are storing stuff here, and there, and everywhere, and hopefully not taking too much to Egypt. 

The most frequent question I get seems to be, "But, what are you going to wear??"  As far as clothing goes, BYU has placed really strict guidelines on how the girls need to dress while we're there.  I may not love the rules, BUT I will follow them, and I know our teachers are giving them to us for our protection.  Here's the basic rundown; I have to wear shirts that have necks that are closer to my collar bone than my chest, and have sleeves that are closer to my elbows than my shoulders.  I cannot wear pants/skirts that are cut above mid-calf, and nothing that is revealing or form fitting in any way.

While I'm walking around in 100+ weather, mind you.  BUT I have found a few things and ultimately I just want to go for comfort more than style obviously.

Here are the 2 skirts I have (DownEast Basics & Shade) :

In grey, NOT white...



Maxi skirts are in, riiight???  .....Say yes.

And the pants in khaki and denim blue (Target):

I know, so attractive!  Ok, ok, they're not that bad.  They're actually really lightweight and SO comfy.

And some examples of the kind of shirts I am bringing (Forever21, Shade, DownEast Basics and Target):

But in not that color.... think more grey, blue, black...

And various other button ups in white and blues.
I'll be all covered up!

Instead of a purse, I plan on carrying a classy looking CamelBak, that looks something like this one: 

I am excited because it holds plenty, including 2 liters of water.  Have mercy!

I am only bringing a few pairs of shoes; plain flip-flops, stylish (and cheap) sandals, my TOMS, and the shoes that bring me right back to my riverguiding days- my Chacos that look something like these:


So, that's a little run down of where we're at with clothing and such as of right now.  Hopefully I will be able to find some threads to purchase over there once I get sick of the same clothes over and over and over! 

I had planned on spending the day inside packing up our apartment, but the weather was just too perfect, and I spent the entire day outside playing with neighbors- a much better life decision.  We have 2 weeks to pack it all up, wish us luck!

Cheers- Megs
 

4 comments:

  1. Meg, I'm thrilled for you! Honestly i'm so excited to read up on all your adventures.

    What will you do while you're there? Are there other LDS wives going to?

    Wearing those clothes in 100 degrees is definitely going to be tough - I guess the women over there do that too so maybe you can learn a few tricks of the trade?!

    I'm so excited for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how exciting!

    I actually think you'll be cooler (temperature-wise) in your new style. As long as you buy fabric that breathes, it will protect your skin from the arid heat and wind.

    I can't wait to read about your adventures. What a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I squeeze in your camelback?Ugh. Beyond jealous. Can't wait to read more about your adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should put coke in your camelbak bladder instead of water. haha

    ReplyDelete

talk
like
an
egyptian